Berenjena En Salmorejo (Fried Eggplant With Salmorejo Sauce)
- 3 slices white bread, 1/2" thick
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, such as beefsteak peeled, seeded
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Spanish olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 hard-boiled egg finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped Spanish cured ham
- 1 pound eggplant peeled, and cut crosswise into 1/4" strips
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
In a shallow bowl, add the bread. Pour the water over the bread and allow to sit for a few minutes.
In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the tomatoes and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Remove the bread from the water and squeeze dry. With the machine running, add the bread. Add the vinegar and the oil. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Remove and spoon into a serving bowl. Sprinkle the top with chopped egg and ham.
Season the eggplant with salt and pepper. Place in a shallow bowl and add the milk. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
In an electric fryer or deep pot, preheat the olive oil to 365 degrees. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and the cornmeal. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the eggplant from the milk, letting the excess drip off. Dredge each eggplant slice in the seasoned flour mixture, coating completely. Fry the eggplant in batches, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the fried eggplant on a large platter with the Salmorejo Sauce. Garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.