Corn Salad with Cilantro & Caramelized Onions
- 6 ears of fresh corn
- 6 slices pancetta
- 1 large red onion, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Adapted from food52.com
Cook the corn on the cob in a large pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain hot water and plunge corn into a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Drain corn and set aside to cool completely.
Dice pancetta and cook in a heavy skillet over medium heat until brown and crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pancetta to a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
Pour off most of the pancetta fat from skillet, leaving a little goodness left in the pan for cooking your onions. Add oil, onions, vinegar, sugar, and dash of salt to pan, and cook over medium-low heat. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are caramelized and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
Cut corn kernels off of the cobs and place in a large bowl. Add onion mixture and cilantro and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and if it seems dry, add a little more olive oil.
If you’re making this ahead of time, cover and put it in the fridge. Take salad out about 3o minutes before serving to take chill off. Stir in crispy pancetta just before serving.
You'll also love
- Mustard Salmon with Cannellini... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Parmesan Turkey Cutlets 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Skillet-Roasted Okra and Shrimp 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Ham and Tomato Pizza - WW 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Spinach &... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Substitute corn starch 4.7/5 (6 Votes)