Spicy Seared Tuna With Sesame Vinaigrette
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger root
- Sesame Vinaigrette (see recipe)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground white pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds best-quality ahi tuna
- 6 cups mizuna greens, curly endive or red leaf lettuce - (loosely packed)
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped chives for garnish
- 1 cup Marinated Shitake Mushrooms (see recipe)
Melt the butter over low-heat, stir in the ginger root and remove from the heat. Allow the mixture to infuse for 2 to 3 hours or overnight for the flavor to develop.
Reheat the butter and ginger root infusion until it is soft enought to spread easily. Brush each sheet of aluminum foil with some of this mixture, and sprinkle with a little salt and white pepper. With a very sharp knife, slice the tuna about 3/8-inch thick against the grain and lay 2 slices in a single layer on each piece of foil. Preheat a grill, griddle, or large heavy skillet to very high heat.
Toss the greens with just enough Sesame Vinaigrette to coat all the leaves and reserve the remaining vinaigrette for another use. Mound an equal quantity of the salad on each of 6 serving plates.
Transfer the sheets of foil to the hot grill and cook for about 30 seconds, or until the tuna is seared on one side and still raw on the other. Immediately transfer the tuna slices, raw-side up, to the plates and drape them loosely around the edges of the salad. Garnish with the chives and the Marinated Shitake Mushrooms, if desired, and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (488 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)
- Blackened Grilled Tilapia 4.5/5 (148 Votes)
- Grilled Fish Tacos 4.5/5 (129 Votes)