- 2 lbs pizza dough (thawed if frozen) or 2 lbs bread dough (thawed if frozen)
- 1 1/2 lbs Italian sausage , casings removed
- 1 large onion , chopped (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese , grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese , freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , chopped (may substitute with dried)
- 1 egg , beaten with
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (optional)
Thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or room temperature until just soft enough to yield to pressure of a fingerprint. (I doubled Super Quick Pizza Dough and used it with success).
Meanwhile prepare filling, place sausage and onion in a large skillet, cook 10 minutes stirring often breaking meat up with the side of a spoon. (If the meat doesn't want to break up -- convince it!).
Pat out 1 piece of dough to flatten on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 14x9 inch (or there abouts) rectangle. (Turn dough so that the long side is directly in front of you.) Sprinkle half of the cooled sausage, cheeses and parsley on the dough, leaving an inch or two from the far edge. Roll up dough, starting with the long side, enclosing like a jelly roll.
Transfer roll, seam side down, to a lightly greased cookie sheet and tuck ends under.
Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Brush the tops of both loaves liberally with egg mixture, sprinkle with sesame seeds if you wish. (Mom always did).
Bake in a moderate oven, 375°, for 20-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Remove loaves to a serving platter and cut into 1 1/2 inch slices and serve.