Sicilian-Style Saffron Cod with Burst Tomatoes
- A fat pinch saffron threads
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry or citrusy crisp white wine
- 4 6 ounce pieces cod or black bass, preferably sustainable, skin removed
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 - 2 anchovies (optional)
- Crusty bread
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
In a small pot, steep the saffron in the stock over medium-low while you make the sauce.
In a large skillet with a lid, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the onion, garlic and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper. Stir until the onion softens, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes; cover and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes burst, about 10 minutes. (With a spoon, break up any tomatoes that haven't burst.) Stir in the wine and saffron stock; simmer until the liquid reduces slightly, 1 to 2 minutes.
Season the fish with salt and pepper; add to the skillet. Cover and poach until the fish is cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, on a cutting board, make a gremolata by chopping together the parsley, citrus zests and anchovies, if using.
Divide the fish and the sauce among bowls. Sprinkle with the gremolata. Serve with the bread.
You'll also love
- Avocado Lime Cilantro Ice Cream 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Turkey Gumbo Soup 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- MUSHROOM LARB (THAI MUSHROOM... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna with Olive Relish 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Grilled Swordfish with Sautéed... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Serenata de Bacalao (Puerto Rican... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Seared Cod with orange glaze 4.5/5 (4 Votes)