- 6 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 medium or 3 large pink grapefruit
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- One (1.75-ounce) package regular powdered fruit pectin
- 1/4 teaspoon unsalted butter
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from seriouseats.com
1 Measure the sugar into a large bowl and set aside.
2 Wash the grapefruit and remove the rinds in quarters. Discard 4 of the quarters (the rind of 1 grapefruit). Thinly slice the remaining quarters lengthwise, then roughly chop them crosswise into smaller pieces. Transfer the rinds to a large pot and add 2 cups of water and the baking soda. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, lower the heat, and simmer until the rinds are soft and beginning to turn translucent, about 15 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, roughly chop the grapefruit and remove any seeds. Transfer the grapefruit to a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the fruit to the pot with the rind and return the mixture to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until the fruit has softened a bit, about 15 minutes.
4 Measure 5 cups of the fruit mixture, making sure to get a good combination of rind, fruit, and juice. Discard the remaining fruit mixture. Return the reserved 5 cups of the fruit mixture to the pot. Stir in the pectin and the butter and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add the sugar all at once and return the mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for one minute.
5 Remove the pot from the heat and skim any foam from the surface of the marmalade with a cold metal spoon. Ladle the marmalade into hot, sterilized jars and process them in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.
You'll also love
- Squash & Ricotta Pizzette 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chef Jim's Chip-Crusted Pickerel... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Burger: Artichoke Spinach... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Rosemary & Orange Roast Chicken 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Grilled Shrimp Tostadas with a... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Citrus-Beer Steak Tacos with... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella,... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Grape Salad 4.5/5 (8 Votes)