Chanterelle And Shiitake Black Bean Chili With Sour Cherries
- 2 pounds chanterelles cleaned, halved
- 2 pounds shiitakes cleaned, and stems removed
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 3 cups orange juice
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 1 bunch fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 2 large onions diced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large sweet green peppers diced
- 2 ancho chiles minced
- 1 chipotle chile minced
- 1 pasilla chili minced
- 1/2 habenerro chile minced
- 15 plum tomatoes seeded, quartered
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 bunch scallions diced
- 3 tablespoons toasted cumin seeds ground
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 cups sour cherries
Set mushrooms aside. Boil juices, then add thyme and beans. Simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
Heat 1/2 of oil, add onion and garlic and brown. Add pepper, chiles, tomatoes and simmer 20 minutes; add cumin, scallion, oregano, thyme and cumin and simmer 20 minutes; add beans and simmer.
While beans simmer, heat remaining oil in saute pan until smoking hot. Add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes. Add to chile-bean mixture, stir well and simmer 20 minutes. Add cherries and serve.
This recipe yields ?? servings.