Tacos with Spinach, Mushroom, Potato and Caramelized Onions
- 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into 2-in. pieces
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, 1/2 in. slices
- 6 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- Sea salt
- Freshly black pepper
- 2 to 3 large yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 oz. fresh spinach, washed and stems removed
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 6 to 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- Salsa, for serving
- Avocado, for serving
Adapted from onegreenplanet.org
Preheat oven to 450° F.
Toss the potatoes with olive oil and turn them out on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 to45 minutes, turning halfway through.
While you’re waiting on the potatoes, start on the onions. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy bottom pan and add the sliced onions. Cook over medium heat for 30 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally. If you find you’re having to stir your onions often, lower the heat. Once the onions develop a rich, dark caramel color they’re ready.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the diced onion, mushrooms and garlic. When the onion begins to become translucent and the mushrooms release their liquid, about five to 10 minutes, add the spinach, nutmeg and lemon zest and cook until the spinach just begins to wilt.
Make your stack and serve with salsa and avocado!
You'll also love
- Rhubarb Syrup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Roast Chicken and Artichokes With... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Biscuits 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Shitake... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Kale and Raw Butternut Squash Salad 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Spinach and Goat Cheese Tartlets 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Chop an Onion - Pioneer Woman 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Patty Melt with mushrooms 4.5/5 (11 Votes)