Blue Moon and Corona Cupcakes
The beer flavor doesn’t always survive the baking process very well, so I just poked some holes in the cupcake tops and brushed a little beer on each to increase the flavor. Worked out wonderfully in the end, thanks to Miss Make for the inspiration!
- BEER CUPCAKES:
- 3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon orange or lime zest
- 1 cup Blue Moon or Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
- 1/4 cup milk
- Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish
- CITRUS CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cold
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange/lime juice
- 1 teaspoon orange/lime zest
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Adapted from ericasweettooth.com
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.
Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.–When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.
CITRUS CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.