Spinach And Rice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Coat a 2-quart pot with cooking spray, and preheat over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until slightly soft.
Add the rice, water, and spinach to the pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer, without stirring, for about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the spinach is thawed. (Note that the spinach will remain in a block even when it's thawed.) If any water remains, drain it off.
Break the spinach up with a fork, and stir it into the rice. Add the Parmesan, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper, and stir to mix. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 182 calories; 7.5g protein; 3g fat; 32g carbohydrates; 4.5g fiber; 3.5mg cholesterol; 224 mg sodium.