Spicy Orange Beef
- 1 flank steak - (abt 1 1/2 lbs)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 12 pieces dried orange peel (available at Asian markets)
- FOR COOKING:
- 1 pound broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper seeded
- 1 green bell pepper seeded
- 1 1/4 cups defatted low-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - (to 1/2) to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 scallions minced
- 1 medium garlic clove minced
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 can bamboo shoots - (8 oz) drained
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 6 cups cooked white rice
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
Freeze flank steak for easier slicing, until almost firm, 1 to 2 hours. Cut flank steak across grain into thin strips using a sharp slicing knife.
For the marinade, beat egg whites in a large bowl until frothy. Stir in soy sauce, cornstarch, and wine until smooth. Stir in orange peel; add sliced flank steak; mix well to coat. Marinate 10 minutes.
Lightly peel broccoli stalks; slice into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Separate florets into bite-sized pieces. Put broccoli into a large pot of boiling water; cook 2 minutes. Drain well.
Cut peppers into bite-sized pieces. Mix chicken broth, wine, sugar, and red pepper in a small bowl. Dissolve cornstarch in water in a separate small bowl.
Heat a well-seasoned wok or large skillet until hot. Add 1 tablespoon oil; heat to very hot. Add half of the scallions, garlic, and ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add half of the drained steak and orange peel. Stir-fry over high heat until no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from wok with a slotted spoon. Repeat using 1 more tablespoon oil and the remaining scallions, garlic, ginger, and steak. Remove from wok.
Add peppers and 2 tablespoons water to the wok; cook, stirring over high heat until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli and bamboo shoots; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Return beef to wok. Stir in broth mixture; heat to a simmer. Stir in dissolved cornstarch; cook, stirring, until thickened. Stir in sesame oil. Serve over rice; garnish with cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.3/5 (611 Votes)
- Holiday Turkey With Apple-Pear... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Salad With Grapes And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Broiled Scallops With Honey-Lime... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Southwestern Turkey Gravy 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Claim Jumper's California Citrus... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Original Tommy's World Famous... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mandarin Orange Muffins 0/5 (0 Votes)