Mediterranean Chicken with Mushrooms and Zucchini
- 3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. firmly packed light brown sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups peeled red pearl onions (6 to 7 oz.), halved if large
- 8 oz. cremini (baby bella) mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 2 oz. pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 4-lb. chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces, trimmed of extra skin and fat, patted dry
- 2 small zucchini (4 to 5 oz. each), trimmed, cut in half lengthwise and then crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick half-rounds
- 1/2 cup medium- to full-bodied red wine, such as Merlot or Syrah
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 400°F.
In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbs. of the balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbs. of the rosemary, the brown sugar, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper; stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Add the olive oil and mix well.
Scatter the pearl onions over the bottom of a metal, glass, or ceramic baking dish that measures about 10x15x2 inches. Add the mushrooms, cap side up. Stir the vinegar mixture to mix well; spoon 1 Tbs. into a second small bowl and reserve. Use about half of the remaining mixture to brush the mushroom caps. Scatter the pancetta over the mushrooms and onions. Arrange the chicken pieces, skin side up, on top of all, and brush with the remaining vinegar mixture. Roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss the zucchini with the reserved 1 Tbs. of the vinegar mixture. In a measuring cup, combine the wine with the remaining 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Remove the roasting pan from the oven and reduce the temperature to 375°F. Pour the wine mixture around the chicken and then scatter the zucchini around the chicken, keeping it toward the edges of the pan as much as possible. Return the pan to the oven and continue to roast until the vegetables are tender and an instant-read thermometer registers 165ºF in several pieces of chicken, 20 to 30 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. With a slotted spoon, arrange the vegetables and pancetta around the chicken. Sprinkle the vegetables with a little salt.
Tilt the roasting pan so that the juices gather in one corner. With a large, shallow spoon, skim as much fat as possible from the pan sauce. Spoon a small amount of sauce over the chicken and vegetables.
You'll also love
- Asparagus Casserole 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Ground Beef Jerky 5/5 (1 Votes)
- roasted mixed baby potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Roll with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Zucchini Bread 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Mushrooms with Lump Crab and Dry... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Vegetable Soup with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Creamy Zucchini and Ricotta dip 5/5 (1 Votes)