Mango Mousse Cake
- Sponge Cake Base :
- Mango Mousse Cake
- 2 Egg Whites
- 40 g Fine Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp cream of tartar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 30 g Fine Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- 50 g Milk
- 24 g Corn Oil
- 68 g cake flour
- 1/4 Tsp bicarbonate of soda
- *Sift together
- Mango Mousse :
- 17 g Gelatine Powder
- 60 g Hot Water
- 350 g Whipping Cream
- 3 Tbsp Icing Sugar
- 300 g Mango Puree (if regrigerated, bring to room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp Rum
- 200 g to 220g Cubed Mango
- Mango puree topping:
- 150 g mango puree (bring to room temperature)
- 1 Tbsp gelatin
- 4-1/2 Tbsp boiling water
- Slice/Cubed fruits *optional
For Cake :
1) Prepare and line a 7 x 7 inch baking tin. In a clean bowl, whisk egg white and sugar. Add cream of tartar and whisk till peak.
2) In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar till pale and fluffy.
3) Add vanilla essence, milk and corn oil to egg yolk mixture then fold in sifted flour mixture.
4) Fold in egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.
5) Bake at 150°C for around 30 to 35 minutes or till skewer comes clean. Let the cake cool and slice horizontally 2 slices and trim them into 6.5 x 6.5 inch square.
For Mousse and Topping :
1) In a mixing bowl, whip whipping cream with icing sugar to mousse state. Refrigerate to chill.
2) In a small bowl, dissolve gelatine powder in hot water. When the gelatine powder is fully dissolved, add to mango puree. Add rum to the mixture. Mix well.
3) Add the mango mixture to whipped cream. Mix well till incorporated.
4) Use a 7 x 7 inch cake ring, place a layer of cake and pour in mango mousse, or use a large piping tip to pipe the mixture. Do take note of the corners. Add mango cubes and cover them with some mousse. Let it slighlty set for about 10 minutes in the fridge.
5) Lay another cake layer and pour the remaining mousse. Let it set for 30 to 45 minutes in the fridge.
6) Meanwhile,dissolve gelatine in hot water for mango puree topping. Mix in mango puree. Wait till the mousse is set and the topping is cooled, arrange sliced fruits, if using, pour in the topping carefully. Let the cake chill for at least 3 hours before removing the cake ring and decorate with macaroons or chocolate shards (optional).
*Note : If you pour a little of the mango puree topping on the fruits, you do not have to glaze them again.