Goulash with Peas or Corn
- 1 lb ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (whatever color you have on hand)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 – 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas or corn
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
Heat olive oil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef, break up with a spoon and brown until no longer pink.
Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes until onion softens.
Stir in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and bay leaves.
Stir in water, crushed tomatoes and soy sauce. Bring to a bubble. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Stir in peas or corn and macaroni.
Simmer covered for 20-25 minutes, until macaroni is tender.