- 1 tsp White Sugar
- 1/4 cup warm Water (110 degrees F)
- 1 1/4 tsp active dry Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm Water (110 degrees F)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Water
- 2 tbls kosher Salt
- 1 tbls Soda Powder
1. Stir sugar into 1/4 cup warm water in a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir to dissolve yeast.
2. Combine 1 1/2 cups warm water, flour, and salt in large bowl. Stir yeast into mixture. Add a bit more flour, if needed, so dough isn't too sticky.
3. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed about 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
4. Punch dough down. Roll into log. Mark off into 12 portions, and cut. Roll each portion into 1/2 inch rope.
5. Dredge pretzel in Soda and Water mix and blot dry.
6. Shape each rope into pretzel form on greased baking sheets. Beat egg white and 1 teaspoon water with fork in small bowl; brush glaze on pretzels. Sprinkle some pretzels with kosher salt, and some with sesame seeds.
7. Bake at 450 degrees (230 degrees C) for about 15 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool.