- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion diced (abt 1 cup)
- 4 cups cranberries rinsed, picked over
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup orange Juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cioves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts (optional)
Heat a 3-quart nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and the butter and, when the foam subsides, add the onion. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onion is golden brown.
Add all the remaining ingredients except the optional nuts and cook covered on medium for 7 minutes. Uncover the pan, stir, and lower heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered for another 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the optional nuts and cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until all of the berries have popped and the mixture is a uniform color.
This recipe yields about 1 pint.