Strawberry Balsamic Jam (using pectin)
Making homemade jam isn't as difficult as I once imagined. This version of strawberry balsamic jam turned out as one of my best-- the balsamic is so subtle. It adds a fantastic depth to the flavor of the jam-- it's not sour at all. In fact, the jam is the perfect blend of sweet.
For step-by-step photos and how I made this, please visit my food blog:
- 2 quarts fresh strawberries
- 1 package powdered pectin
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, or use 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 7 cups of sugar
- 1 pat of butter
- NOTE: measure the quantity of strawberries, once you have hulled and mashed them.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Hull the strawberries, wash and then drain them.
Mash them, in layers. (I pulse them in my food processor until they are the size I prefer... small chunks, but not totally pureed).
Combine the strawberries, balsamic vinegar and the pectin in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring so it doesn't stick.
Slowly add the sugar. Bring to a continuous roll, stirring frequently, so it doesn't stick.
Bring to a gel stage (approximately 10 minutes).
I like to chill a plate in my freezer. Spoon a little of the cooked fruit on the cold plate. Run your finger through it, and see if it separates. Let it sit a minute more and feel the texture. If it gels, it's ready.
Pour into sterilized clean class jars with lids.
Set the filled jars in a rack, covered by at least 2" of boiling water. Keep the pot covered and set a timer for 10 minutes, from when the water begins to rapidly boil.
Remove from the pot, carefully, with a jar lifter onto a clean towel.
Listen for the "pop" of the vacuum on the lids...and/or press a finger on the top. If it's firm, you have a good vacuum.
If a jar is not sealed, properly, you can repeat the water bath boil method, or refrigerate this jar and eat within 2 weeks.
You'll also love
- Lone Star Steakhouse's Sweet... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Fried Pasta Chips 3.8/5 (38 Votes)
- Mom's Molasses Applesauce Cookies 3.8/5 (24 Votes)
- Icy Mangonadas 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Sticky Garlic Chicken Bites-Cashew... 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- German Strawberry "Pfannkuchen"... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Blackberry Bread 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
Review this recipe