Cajun Shrimp & Grits
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 oz. tasso ham, minced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 lbs. shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup fat-free milk (almond milk ok to sub)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham; saute 2 minutes or until edges are golden. Add onion; saute 2 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute. Add shrimp to pan, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Cook 3 minutes, turning once. Add 1/4 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove from heat; add butter, stirring to melt. Cover and keep warm.
2. Bring milk, salt, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. Gradually add grits and cook until thick and bubbly, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove grits from heat. Add cheese. Stir with a whisk until cheese melts.
3. Spoon grits evenly onto 6 plates. Top with shrimp and ham mixture. Sprinkle with green onions.