Acorn Squash Supreme
- 2 acorn squash halved lengthwise, and seeded
- 2 Rome apples cored, and chopped with skins
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped leeks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 1 tablespoon shredded orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place the squash cut-side up in an ovenproof glass baking dish and add 1/4 inch water.
In a large bowl, combine the apples, leeks, brown sugar, pecans, fennel seeds, orange juice, butter, orange zest, and ginger until well blended. Spoon the mixture evenly into the squash halves and cover loosely with aluminum foil.
Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until the squash is easily perforated with the tip of a fork and the apple mixture is tender. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
The stuffing ingredients yield about 1 1/4 cups. You may have extra stuffing, depending upon the size of the squash and appies used. Bake the extra stuffing in the bottom of the pan along with the squash.