King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 TBSPS. olive or vegetable oil
- 2 TBSPS. butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 8-10 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken breasts until
browned and cooked through.
3. Remove from pan and shred into bite size pieces.
4. Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté
5. Add bell peppers and garlic, and sauté 3-4 minutes more.
6. Stir in chicken broth, both soups, diced tomatoes and green chilies,
salt and spices. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
7. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
8. Spread about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the bottom of the pan
9. Layer with half of the tortilla strips.
10. Top with half of the chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat
11. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
12. Uncover and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes