Quinoa Salad with Mango, Lime and Ginger
"This spicy-crunchy-sweet combination benefits from a brief rest in the fridge, which helps the ginger permeate the salad."
- 1 cup quinoa (I used red quinoa, Alter Eco brand)
- 1 cup snap peas, stem removed
- 1/2 cup cashews, (I used roasted unsalted cashews)
- 4 to 5 scallions or spring onions, rinsed and trimmed
- 2 mangoes, peeled
- 1-2 serrano chilies (or Thai bird chilies or jalapenos — whatever hot chilies you like best)
- an inch-long (or slightly bigger) knob of ginger, peeled
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 limes, juiced
Adapted from alexandracooks.com
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, place quinoa in a fine-meshed sieve and rinse under cold water. When the water comes to a boil, add the quinoa and simmer for 9 minutes. Drain in a fine-meshed sieve and run under cold water until cool. Set aside to dry.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients: Slice the snap peas on a bias and set aside. Roughly chop the cashews. Slice the scallions (white and light green portions) thinly. Slice down around the pit of the mango to remove, then dice the flesh. Remove the seeds from the chilies, then finely dice. Grate the ginger on a box grater or finely dice with a knife or purée in a food processor. You need about a tablespoon (or more or less to taste) of minced ginger flesh/juice.
3. Place the drained and dried quinoa into a large mixing bowl. Season all over with salt (I used one teaspoon kosher salt to start) and pepper to taste. Add the snap peas, cashews, scallions, chilies, mangoes (or not if you have time to let the salad marinate in the fridge for a bit), minced ginger, olive oil and about two tablespoons of lime juice to the bowl. Toss and taste. Adjust seasoning as necessary. I added two more tablespoons of lime juice and a pinch more salt. Let salad marinate in the fridge for an hour (if you have the time). Fold in mangoes just before serving.
You'll also love
- Oven-Roasted Porchetta with Pork... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Boiled Raisin Cake (Prize Winning) 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crockpot broccoli and chic 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Pasta (Lemon Infused, Butter and... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Magic Lemon Meringue Pie 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Carrot Lime Zinger 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Tomato and Mango Salad with Chiles... 5/5 (2 Votes)