Mediterranean Potato Salad
Everybody should have a great potato salad in their picnic repertoire, right? This one is my go to recipe and doesn't use mayonnaise, the dressing is a mustard vinaigrette. Yum!
- 4 pounds small new potatoes or fingerling potatoes, scrubbed clean
- Salted water (1 1/2 teaspoons salt for every quart of water) for cooking the potatoes
- 1 pound fresh, tender green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (4 cups prepped green beans)
- 3 large roasted red bell peppers*, core removed, flesh cut into 2 x 1/4-inch strips (about 2 cups, or a 16 ounce jar, drained)
- 3/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1 cup minced, pitted Kalamata and green olives (mini-chopper works well for this)
- Large handful fresh Italian parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Large handful fresh baby arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon (or herbes de provence)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from simplyrecipes.com
Place whole potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, an inch above the level of the potatoes. Add salt (1 1/2 teaspoons for every quart of water used). Bring to a simmer on high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes (or more, depending on the size of the potatoes), until pierced easily with the tines of a fork or a sharp knife. Check frequently for doneness. Once done, drain and place potatoes on a sheet pan to cool. Let cool to room temperature or slightly warm. (You can speed up cooling by placing in the refrigerator if you have space.)
While the potatoes are cooking, bring another pot of salted water to a rolling boil (2 quarts of water, 1 tablespoon salt). Add the green beans. Blanch for 4 to 5 minutes, more or less depending on the age and toughness of the beans. Once cooked until tender, drain and place in a bowl of ice water to shock and stop the cooking.
While the potatoes and green beans are cooking, make the vinaigrette. Whisk together in a bowl the mustard, vinegar, tarragon, salt, and olive oil.
Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into 3/4-inch to 1-inch bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl.
To the bowl, add the green beans, strips of roasted peppers, red onion, and olives. Toss with the vinaigrette. Let marinate until ready to serve. Once ready to serve, toss with the parsley and arugula.
Can easily make ahead. Lasts several days in the fridge.
You'll also love
- Kielbasa and Cabbage 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Cornish Game Hens with Apricot... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Caramel-Macchiato Tiramisu Parfaits 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Elvis Presleys favorite "Potato... 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Potato Pancakes (America's Test... 4.1/5 (54 Votes)
- Broccoli Salad 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Heirloom Tomato Cornbread Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
Review this recipe