Bette's Chicken Liver Pâté with Sautéed Maple Syrup Apples
Bette's Chicken Liver Pâté with Sautéed Maple Syrup Apples contrasts the rich flavors of pâté with the sweet flavors of apples sautéed in scrumptious maple syrup. Sweet and savory, this appetizer is the most delicious way to start any elegant dinner party or celebratory meal. Serve with the crackers of your choice, crips toast points, or endive cups.
- SAUTEED MAPLE SYRUP APPLES:
- 15 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, white and pale-green parts only, about 3 scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2 to 3 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- coarse salt to taste
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 loaf crusty bread, for serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 juicy, sweet tart apples, such as Jonathan, peeled and cut into 12 wedges each, total of 24 wedges
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add livers, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until livers are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt. Add wine and thyme. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook until mushrooms are very soft, about 10 minutes. Let mixture cool completely.
Process mixture and remaining 12 tablespoons butter in a food processor until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Transfer pâté to an airtight container or a ramekin; cover with plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve with bread and apples.
FOR THE APPLES:
Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add apples; cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 5 minutes total. Stir in syrup and salt; reduce heat to low. Simmer until apples are soft, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Roast Pork Leg with Truffled... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Zucchini & Cheese Drop Biscuits 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Kale and Sausage Soup with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Amish Apple Grunt 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Olive-Oil Cake with Candied Orange 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Apple Crisp Crescent Bars 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Kombucha Cashew Cheese 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Gefilte Fish Pâté 4.5/5 (2 Votes)