caramelized onion cheddar quick bread
- 3 ounces extra sharp cheddar, shredded on the large holes of box grater (about 1 cup)
- 3 cups (15 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces caramelized onion cheddar cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 3/4 cup sour cream
Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray, then sprinkle 1/2 cup of the shredded cheddar evenly over the bottom of the pan.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper to combine. Using a rubber spatula, mix in the cubed onion cheddar, breaking up clumps. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg, and sour cream. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until just combined (the batter will be heavy and thick). Do not overmix. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan; level the surface with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup chedddar evenly over the surface.
Bake until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf conies out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack 5 minutes; invert the loaf onto the rack, turn right-side up, and continue to cool until warm, about 45 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.