- Small Tomato Salad for the Tortilla Topping:
- 2 lbs. of left of roast beef – sliced into thin strips
- 15 oz. can of black beans - drained
- 1 large jalapeño – diced with seeds
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes – diced with seeds
- 1 1/2 onions – sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1/4 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 8 oz. of shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
- Sour cream for topping
- 1 vine ripe tomato – diced
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 1/2 cup of fresh Italian parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- For the Flatbread:
- 3 cups of flour
- 3 tbs. of canola oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup of warm water
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Heat a cast iron sauce pan with the olive oil and add beef, garlic, tomatoes, onions and jalapeño; gently sauté until the onion is softened and the garlic fragrant.
Add the water, beans and seasonings and continue to gently simmer.
Small Tomato Salad for the Tortilla Topping:
Combine all of the above in a small bowl and mix.
For the Flatbread:
In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Mix and make a well in the center; add the oil and slowly add enough water to bring the flour together.
Form the flour into a soft, springy ball.
Four a clean surface and place the dough on the surface. Cut the dough into quarters; for into small balls and then cut in half again. Form into balls and roll out as thin as possible but still manageable to lift.
Heat a cast iron pan and place the flatbread on the pan. When it bubbles and becomes firm; flip and finish cooking. Wrap in a cloth until ready to use.
To Build the Tortilla:
Plate the flatbread; fill with the beef followed by the tomato salad, sour cream and finally the shredded cheese; finally fold over and EAT!!