Farfalle with Pepperoni, Mozzarella and Broccoli
- For dressing:
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 cups broccoli florets, separated into small (bite-size) pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, halved
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, sliced into rings
- 12 oz package of farfalle/bowtie pasta
- 7 oz stick pepperoni, paper skin removed, diced
- 1 cup ciglienie mozzarella (the little balls) halved, or large fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons juice from pepperoncini pepper jar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or roughly chopped
Adapted from garlicandzest.com
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally about 9-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain water from pasta and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine the red onion, broccoli florets, bell pepper, olives, tomato, pepperoncini peppers, mozzarella and pepperoni.
Toss to combine.
Make dressing: In a small bowl combine lemon zest and juice, olive oil, dijon mustard, pepperoncini juice, salt and pepper. Whisk until dressing is emulsified. Add pasta to vegetables. Toss to combine.
Add dressing to salad. Toss to combine.
Refrigerate salad for several hours for flavors to marry and broccoli to absorb some dressing and soften slightly.
Just before serving the pasta salad, toss with fresh basil.