Fried Eggplant Southern Style
Fried eggplant southern style goes great with southern fried chicken and follows a similar cooking method. Eggplant dredged in egg and buttermilk, coated in cornmeal mixture and deep fried.
- 1 large or 2 Medium-Sized Eggplant, stems removed
- Kosher Salt
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup Fine-Ground White Cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Oil, for frying
1. Cut eggplant into 1/3 inch slices.
2. Season with salt.
3. Place eggplant slices in colander to drain for 20 minutes.
4. In a shallow dish, whisk egg and buttermilk.
5. On wax paper or cookie sheet, add cornmeal, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
6. Press eggplant slices between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
7. In heavy skillet, heat 1-inch oil to 350 F.
8. Dip eggplant in egg, mixture dredge in cornmeal mixture. Shake off excess.
9. Fry eggplant 2 minutes, turn and fry 1 minute. Eggplant should be golden brown.
10. Drain excess oil, place on paper towels.
11. Season with salt and pepper.
12. Serve immediately.