Ham and Rice Croquettes
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cooked ham (about 1/4 lb)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 3 About 3 cups vegetable oil E
- QUIPMENT: a deep-fat thermometer
►Stir together rice, ham, cheese, 1 egg, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Put remaining egg (lightly beaten) and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.
► Heat 1 to IV21-1/2 inches oil to 350°F in a 10-inch skillet over high heat. Meanwhile, dampen your hands and form 1/4-cup amounts of rice mixture into 2-1/2-inch cakes or balls. Lightly coat with egg, then with bread crumbs.
Fry croquettes in 2 batches, turning once or twice, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.