Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Packaged (or homemade) meatballs are simmered in a sweet, spicy sauce and served over rice.
- 1 (32 oz) package frozen pre-cooked meatballs (or your favorite homemade)
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup, drained, syrup reserved
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used light)
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, or to taste (optional)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cold tap water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Drain the pineapple syrup into a pot large enough to accommodate the amount of meatballs and sauce. Set the pineapple aside.
Whisk the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup water into the pineapple syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add the green peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
In the meantime, make a slurry of the cornstarch in about 1/4 cup cold tap water, whisking until well blended.
Reduce heat to medium-low. Pouring in a thin stream, gradually add the cornstarch slurry to the pot, whisking vigorously. Stir in the pineapple chunks and meatballs. When mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens.
Serve over white rice.
You'll also love
- Gum-Lo Wontons With Sweet And Sour... 4/5 (1 Votes)