Roasted Butternut Squash Soup With Caramelized Red Onion
- 1 large butternut squash
- 5 tablespoons low-calorie margarine
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup low-fat low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 small red onion very thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place 2 tablespoons margarine, the onion, and broth in a casserole dish. Place the squash halves over the onion mixture and roast, uncovered, until the squash is soft, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Puree the squash mixture in a blender or food processor and pour into a saucepan. Add the evaporated skim milk and cinnamon and simmer for 5 minutes.
Saute the red onion in 3 tablespoons margarine in a skillet over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sugar and saute until caramelized, about 4 to 5 minutes. Garnish each serving of soup with caramelized onions.
This recipe yields 6 servings. Serving size: 1 cup.
Exchanges Per Serving: 1 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Fat, 1/2 Skim Milk.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 185; Calories from Fat 47; Total Fat 5g; Saturated Fat 1g; Cholesterol 3mg; Sodium 185mg; Carbohydrate 29g; Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 15g; Protein 9g.
You'll also love
- Gingered Onion and Beef Soup with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Savory Mini Muffins with Goat... 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Watermelon Nectar 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Carrots With Cognac 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Roast Stuffed With Spinach,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Brennan's Onion Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potatoes With Green Onions... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)