- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cooked, drained chickpeas (or whatever you have—I used a 20-ounce can to yield this amount,
- but a 15 ounce can is fine)
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- Finely chopped fresh herbs (such as a handful fresh basil, parsley or cilantro leaves and/or 1/2 teaspoon
- fresh thyme or rosemary)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons good olive oil (see Note)
In a bowl, toss the onion with the lemon and salt. Add the remaining ingredients, and toss well. Marinate at room temperature for an hour or refrigerate overnight before serving.
Note: Use the lesser amount of oil to make a salad. Increase the oil for marinated chickpeas you can use to dress a bed of baby spinach or other salad greens.