Fried Ham and Ricotta Calzones
- 4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. canola oil, plus more for frying
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. sliced deli ham, torn into 2" pieces
- 6 oz. mozzarella
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Marinara sauce, for serving
Adapted from saveur.com
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add oil and 1¼ cup water; knead dough until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Combine ricotta cheese, ham, mozzarella, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Heat 2” oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Divide the dough into 6 balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll balls into six 9” circles. Place ⅔ cups of cheese mixture on one side of each circle, leaving a 1” border. Fold other half of circles over, and seal with a fork. Working with one calzone at a time, fry, turning once, until golden and puffed, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove calzone and drain briefly on a paper towel-lined plate. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with warm marinara sauce.