Oven-Fried Potato Latkes
Potato latkes are a favorite comfort food, and when cooked in the oven, their crispy goodness is a lighter way to enjoy this Hanukkah treat. This recipe comes together in no time with the use of your food processor and it serves a crowd of hungry party-goers. These russet potato-based latkes are perfect your holiday table!
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 scant teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Set oven racks in center. Preheat to 425°F.
Peel the potatoes, then coarsely grate them with the onion together in food processor or by hand using a box grater.
Place potato mixture in a fine sieve and press down firmly with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Stir and repeat a few times with fresh paper towels until liquid is mostly drained.
Transfer potato mixture to bowl and mix in eggs, salt, baking powder and flour.
Fill two heavy non-stick rimmed baking sheets with 1/2 cup oil each. Place pans in oven for 10 minutes to heat the oil.
Carefully remove pans from oven.
Drop batter by the 1/4 cupful onto baking sheets, spacing about 1 1/2-inches apart. Using the bottom of the measuring cup or a spoon, press down on pancakes to flatten just slightly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bottoms are crisp and golden. Carefully remove pans from oven and turn latkes with tongs.
Place pans back in oven and cook until latkes are crisp and golden brown all over, about 10 minutes more.
Remove pans from oven and transfer latkes to large platter lined with paper towels. Serve immediately with sour cream or applesauce, if desired.
You'll also love
- Holiday Snowball Cookies 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Slow Cookers BBQ Pulled Pork 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- Lime Mojitos 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread with Maple Cream... 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Pumpkin Trifle with Gingerbread 4.4/5 (51 Votes)
- Crusty Parmesan Herb Zucchini Bites 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Fried Mashed Potato Balls 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Noodle Kugel 5/5 (3 Votes)