Cheesy Chipotle Spinach Bacon Casserole
This dish is the quintessential ketogenic diet dish. It's got lots of healthy fat with moderate protein, and of course, it's low in carbs with just 2g net per serving. It's gorgeous, too, so it's great for company.
Makes about 12 servings. 2g net carbs each.
- 3 bags (30 oz. total) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 3/4 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 6 strips crisply cooked chopped bacon
- 8 oz. fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 T butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt or Adobo seasoning
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped (find this in the Hispanic food section in a can)
- 1/2 C heavy cream (or half & half)
- 1 1/2 C shredded whole milk mozzarella cheese OR shredded chihuahua cheese
- 6 oz. cream cheese, cubed
Adapted from cutthewheat.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pot, place all spinach and heat over medium heat until it's wilted down, but still nice and green. You may have to repeat this if all your spinach doesn't fit in the pot.
2. Place cooked spinach in a colander and drain the water from it by pressing it firmly with paper towels. Set aside.
3. In the pot, melt the butter and add in the bacon, bell pepper, onion, garlic, mushrooms, seasoned salt, and chipotle peppers. Heat all on medium heat until onions are translucent and peppers and mushrooms are tender (about 10 minutes).
4. Add in the cream cheese and stir well over medium heat until the cream cheese is completely melted and coating everything in the pan.
5. Add in the cream and mozzarella or chihuahua cheese and mix until it's all melted and creamy.
6. Stir in the cooked spinach until everything is evenly mixed.
7. Place the mixture into a greased baking dish and top with a bit more mozzarella or chihuahua cheese. Bake on the middle rack for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
8. Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Mexican Lasagna 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Key Lime Bread 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Magic Coconut Cake 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Carrot Chips 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Crispy Potato Skins 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- PORK - Homemade Char Siu 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Freezable Low Carb Spinach Lasagna 4.5/5 (22 Votes)