Magic Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 baked 8" pie shell, cooled
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 large lemons)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 large egg yolks, whites reserved for meringue
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
In a medium sized mixing bowl, blend together condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon peel and yolk until thickened. pour into pie shell.
Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then add the sugar and whip until peaks are stiff.
Spread the meringue over the pie and seal to the edge of the crust. Bake until the meringue browns slightly, 15 to 20 minutes. Chill for at least 2 hours before serving.