- For the Eggplant
- 2 eggplants – sliced
- 3 eggs – beaten plus splash of water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Drizzle of vegetable oil
- For the Salad
- 2 stalks celery – chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 tomato – diced
- 1/2 cup of Italian parsley – chopped
- 1 red onion – sliced
- 15 oz. can of black beans – drained
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Parmesan or Romano cheese for grating
- Juice of one lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
Set up two shallow bowls one with the egg-wash and one with the flour. Dip the eggplant slice first in the flour then the egg-wash and again in the flour.
Place on a baking sheet and drizzle the slices with the vegetable oil.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a nice golden color is achieved.
In a bowl combine the beans, tomato, parsley, celery and onion along with the spices lemon juice and olive oil and toss.
In a large serving bowl place a layer of eggplant slices; grate the cheese over the slices and spoon the salad on top. Repeat this procedure until all of the eggplant and salad is used.
Serve with crusty bread.