Blueberry Crumb Muffins
BEST crumb top muffins ever! Make with fresh or frozen blueberries.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups (one dry pint) fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350 F. Position an oven rack in the center.
Line 14-16 muffin cups with paper liners, or lightly butter the muffin cups or spray them with a cooking spray.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs; then whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Set aside.
Cut the stick of butter into small cubes. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut the chopped butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips. (The mixture should resemble coarse crumbs.) Remove ONE cup of the mixture in a separate bowl for the streusel topping and set aside.
To the remaining crumb mixture, gently fold in the blueberries and lemon zest. Add the milk and egg mixture to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined. (Do not over mix or the muffins will be tough.) Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with the batter.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; stir it into the reserved cup of crumb mixture with a fork until it is crumbly and looks like coarse meal. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon on top of each muffin.
Bake the muffins for 18 - 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove muffins from pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
You'll also love
- Peach Smoothies 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Simple Lime Gelatin Salad 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Raspberry Tiramisu Bites 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Paleo Blackberry Cobbler 3.9/5 (73 Votes)
- Starbucks Blueberry Oat Bars... 4.1/5 (61 Votes)
Review this recipe