Popcorn Scallop Tacos
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup plain Panko bread crumbs
- 2 cups (or so) Canola oil, for frying
- 8 oz bay scallops, patted dry, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 4 corn tortilla
- 4 leaves red leaf lettuc
- 1 mango, pitted, peeled, sliced
- Avocado-Cilantro Crema
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 large avocado), pitted and peeled
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- Juice from 1 lime
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Puree sour cream, cilantro, oil, garlic, and avocado in a food processor until smooth (you can also do this by hand, if you’d like).
- Season crema with lime juice, jalapeno, salt, and pepper. Chill until ready to serve
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Sprinkles Parmesan cheese
Cooking time 30mins
Combine cornstarch, 3/4 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp black pepper together in a shallow dish. Set aside.
Whisk eggs, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper together in a shallow dish. Set aside. Pour Panko into a third shallow dish. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat to 360 degrees. Make sure your oil is at the right temperature – this is critical to the recipe.
Dredge each scallop in cornstarch mixture, lightly coating all sides. Dip into egg mixture, then into the Panko.
Fry scallops in oil until browned on all sides, 3 minutes total (keep an eye out – the scallops cook quickly). Remove scallops to a paper-towel lined plate. Season with salt (if necessary), and set aside.
Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet. Add 1 tortilla. Fry until tender, flip, sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on top. Fry for another 20 to 30 seconds. Remove to a warmed plate. Repeat process with remaining tortillas, using 1 Tbsp of butter for each. (You can also reduce calories by using non-stick spray instead of butter.)
Fill tortillas with lettuce, mango and onion. Divide scallops among the tacos, then top each taco with Avocado-Cilantro Crema (recipe follows).
You'll also love
- Sauteed Shrimp With Coconut Oil 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Cal-Tex Chili & Pinto Beans 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Golden Cream of Mushroom Soup with... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Eggnog Ice Cream 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Crab & Ricotta Cannelloni 4.1/5 (22 Votes)
- Acorn Squash Alfredo, Vegan 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Rudy’s Country Store and Bar-B-Q... 4.1/5 (17 Votes)
- Patagonian Scallops, Lemon and... 4/5 (23 Votes)