Coconut Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
I wanted to make http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html but forgot to buy blueberries. So I decided to experiment a bit.
Great warm out of the oven or cold out of the fridge.
- 3 medium ripe bananas, (the riper the better) sliced into 1/2" [1.2 cm] pieces
- 3/8 c [125 g] honey (or agave)
- 2 c [180 g] uncooked oats
- 1 t [1 Teelöffel] baking powder [Weinsteinbackpulver]
- 2 t [2 Teelöffel] cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 2 c [474 mL] reduced fat no-sugar-added coconut milk (or mix 1/2 coconut milk, 1/2 water)
- 2 egg
- 2 t [2 Teelöffel] vanilla extract [preferably alcohol-based]
- 2 T [2 Esslöffel] no-sugar-added nut butter
- 1.4 oz [40 g] dark chocolate
- 2 T [2 Esslöffel] shredded coconut
Cooking time 50mins
Preheat the oven to 375F/190C.
Arrange the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of 9" x 13" ceramic or glass baking dish.. Sprinkle 1/4 t [1/4 Teelöffel] of the cinnamon and 1 T [1 Esslöffel] of the honey. Cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes, until the bananas get soft.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir together. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, vanilla extract, and nut butter.
Finely chop up the chocolate.
Remove the bananas from the oven, then pour the oat mixture over the bananas.
Pour the milk mixture over the oats, making sure to distribute the mixture as evenly as possible over the oats. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings and shredded coconut over the the top.
Bake the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set.