Popeye's Cajun Gravy
By Sage B.
Here's a great stay at home copycat Popeye's Cajun Gravy recipe. Tastes awesome with chicken or mashed potatoes. And don't forget the biscuits!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 chicken gizzard
- 2 tablespoons green bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 cup ground beef
- 1/4 cup ground pork
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash dried parsley flakes
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from bing.com
Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté chicken gizzard in the oil for 4 to 5 minutes until cooked. Remove gizzard from the pan and let cool. Finely mince the gizzard after it has cooled.
Combine beef and pork in bowl, mix with your hands until well blended.
Add minced bell pepper to the saucepan and sauté it for 1 minute. Add meat mixture to the pan and cook until brown. Mash meat into tiny pieces as it browns.
Add water and beef broth to the saucepan, then immediately whisk in cornstarch and flour.
Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gravy until thick, about 30 to 35 minutes.
You'll also love
- Texas Sheetcake aka The Pioneer... 4.2/5 (280 Votes)
- Man-Pleasing Chicken 4.3/5 (254 Votes)
- Corn Nuggets 3.9/5 (453 Votes)
- Crockpot Apple Pie Breakfast 4.5/5 (231 Votes)
- Valentine Dipped Wafer Cookies 4.5/5 (211 Votes)
- Bisquick ~ Drop Biscuits 3.7/5 (637 Votes)
- Zucchini & Sweet Corn Casserole 4.5/5 (200 Votes)
- One-Bowl Apple Cake 4/5 (272 Votes)
- T.G.I. Friday's Spicy Cajun... 3.8/5 (259 Votes)
- Corn Bread Casserole 4.5/5 (97 Votes)
- Popeye's Cajun Gravy 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Amaretto Peach Cheesecake 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Classic Vanilla Bundt Cake with a... 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Rochester Chicken French 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Salisbury Steak with Caramelized... 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Gingerbread Muffins 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Mediterranean Couscous (Vegan) 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken Marsala (Emeril Lagasse) 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Carrabba's Champagne Chicken 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Paula's Chicken Tomatillo Soup 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Simple Brown Gravy 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Pozole Rojo (Pork & Hominy Stew) 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- One Pan Balsamic Chicken 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- One Pot Bread - Jacque Pepin 3.6/5 (106 Votes)
- Flank Steak Roll-Up (Crock Pot) 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Pabellon Criollo 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork with sweet Hungarian Paprika 0/5 (0 Votes)