Brussels Sprout Leaves with Turkey Bacon
- 2 lb Brussels sprouts
- 6 slices thick-cut turkey bacon (6 oz), diced
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove any torn or discolored outer leaves from the Brussels sprouts, then trim their bases and cut out and discard the cores.
2. Add sprouts to boiling water and blanch 4 to 5 minutes until they're crisp- tender and the leaves begin to open. Drain and refresh under cold water until they're cool enough to handle. Carefully separate Brussels sprouts into leaves and blot dry on paper towels. (This can be done a day ahead; place leaves in a resealable bag in the refrigerator.)
3. In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat for 7 minutes or until just crisp. Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Discard all but 1 Tbsp of the bacon drippings from skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low; add sprout leaves, bacon pieces, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes, tossing gently, until just heated through.