Orzo, Feta, and Chickpea-Stuffed Zucchini Boats
This is a fun and delicious recipe! Make it the main course or serve it as a side to a meat entrée.
Tip: To easily make the zucchini boats, use a teaspoon or melon baller to scoop out the middle of the flesh.
- 3 medium zucchini, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing zucchini
- 4 oz orzo pasta, cooked, drained, and cooled
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 cup canned sliced black olives, chopped
- 2/3 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/3 cup red pepper, finely diced
- 1/3 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/3 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 375°F.
To prepare the zucchini, cut each in half length-wise and scoop out the middle leaving 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch of flesh inside the shell. Brush each zucchini boat with olive oil, salt, and pepper then place them skin-side down on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
Combine the orzo, tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, chick peas, salt, pepper, vinegar, and Parmesan cheese in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a medium-sized sauté pan. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the onion, pepper, celery, carrots, oregano, and basil and sauté until the vegetables begin to soften.
Remove the pan from the heat. Toss the ingredients in the bowl with the orzo mixture, then fold in 1-1/2 cups of the feta cheese.
Pack the mixture into the zucchini boats. (The filling should be mounded.) Top with the remaining feta cheese and bake for 40 minutes, or until the zucchini is fork-tender.
You'll also love
- Vegan Hungarian Eggplant 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Pork Loin - Orange Glazed Pork... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Cucumber Collins 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Copycat Pumpkin Spice Muffins 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Noodles & Co. Pasta Fresca 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Zucchini Lattice Lasagna 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Sorrel with Pasta and Pork 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Three Bean Salad 4.3/5 (4 Votes)