Italian Sausage and Peppers
"... Add a fresh green salad with oil and vinegar dressing, a loaf of hot Italian bread, a bottle of wine ..."--The Saturday Evening Post (Jan./Feb. '74)
- 4 hot italian sausages
- 4 sweet Italian sausages
- 2 tsbp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 green peppers, washed, cleaned and cut into half-inch strips
- 2 red peppers, washed, cleaned and cut into half-inch strips
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, put through a garlic press
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Put the sausages in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. This will remove some of the fat. Then drain off the water and dry the sausages on paper towels.
Heat the oil in a heavy saute pan, add the sausages and brown well on all sides. Then remove from the pan and put aside.
Add the onions and peppers and saute until lightly browned; add garlic, oregano, tomato sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Combine well and bring to a boil. Return the sausages to it and simmer for 25 minutes.
NOTE: Sausages freeze well, so you can make a double batch and freeze half.