The Eating Well Cobb Salad
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. finely minced shallot
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp, salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 lb. shredded cooked chicken breast ( 1 large breast half)
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, seeded and sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
Cooking time 40mins
To poach chicken breast: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
To hard boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completly cooled.
Whisk vinegar, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl to combine. Whisk in oil until combined. Place salad greens in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing and toss to coat.
Divide salad greens among 4 plates. Arrange equal portions of chicken, egg, bacon, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and blue cheese (if using) on top of the lettuce. Drizzle the salads with the remaining dressing.