Pasta with Eggplant Sauce
- 8 oz bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 28 ounce can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes in puree, cut up
- 8 ounces fresh cremini and/or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 6 ounce can Italian-style tomato paste
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme,
- and/or Italian [flat-leaf] parsley)
- 1/3 cup pitted Kalamata or other Italian olives, sliced
- Salt and ground black pepper (optional)
- 6 cups hot cooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 420mins
1. In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown. Drain off fat. If desired, peel eggplant. Cut eggplant into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a 4- to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker combine sausage, eggplant, tomatoes in puree, mushrooms, tomato paste, onion, wine, and garlic.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4 hours. Stir in herbs and olives. If desired, season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Serve eggplant mixture over hot cooked pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pine nuts.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Marinated Grilled 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Wheat Belly Lemon-Poppy Seed... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Potato Gnocchi with Brown Butter... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Avocado-Corn Chowder with Grilled... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- TOMATO, BASIL AND SMOKED... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- EGGPLANT PIZZA WITH SICILIAN CRUST... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)