Classic Watergate Salad
Aka "that green stuff" by my family, this light and refreshing dessert has withstood the test of time and is perfect after a big Holiday feast.
- 1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (3 1/2 oz) box Pistachio Instant Pudding Mix
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 drop green food color (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (8 oz) tub Cool Whip, thawed
- Stemmed Maraschino cherries for garnish, drained on paper towels (optional)
Drain pineapple in a colander, pressing out the juice. (You don't want your salad to be soupy.)
In a large mixing bowl, add the pineapple, dry pudding mix, sugar, and food color, stirring until well combined. Stir in the pecans and coconut.
With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the marshmallows and Cool Whip just until combined. Don't overmix or it will flatten the Cool Whip.
Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or individual serving dishes.
Garnish the top with a maraschino cherry or extra pecans, if desired.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.