Kale and Goat Cheese Empanadas
For a Southwestern version, use 2 stemmed, seeded, and chopped poblano peppers instead of kale and 1-1/4 cups chopped rotisserie chicken in place of goat cheese.
- 1.5 T EVOO, divided
- 1 (1/2lb) bunch Tuscan (also called lacinato or dinosaur) kale, stems removed & leaves chopped
- 1/2 t kosher salt
- 1/8 t ground black pepper
- 4 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 refrigerated (9") piecrusts, each cut into 8 triangles
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from oprah.com
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a lg skillet, heat 1T EVOO over med-high heat.
3. Add kale, salt, & pepper & cook, tossing them often, until wilted, 3-4 min.
4. Transfer to a med bowl. When cooled to room temp, gently toss w/goat cheese.
5. Working w/1 piece of dough, brush edges w/water.
6. Place ~ 1/4c kale filling in mid of crust, leaving a 1/2" border all around.
7. Top w/2nd wedge & press closed. Seal edges w/tines of a fork & transfer to a lg baking sheet.
8. Repeat w/remaining dough & filling.
9. Cut a small X in each empanada & brush w/remaining 1/2T EVOO.
10. Bake until golden brown & hot throughout, ~ 30 min. Serve immediately.