Caramelized Shallot Tartes Tatin
- 4 T salted butter, melted
- 12 med shallots (~12oz), peeled & halved lengthwise
- 1/2 c turbinado sugar
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 1 lb puff pastry, thawed & chilled
- 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz Gorgonzola, crumbled
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from oprah.com
1. Preheat oven to 400F & arrange racks in middle & lower third.
2. Line 2 baking sheets w/parchment paper.
3. In a med bowl, combine melted butter, shallots, & sugar & toss to coat.
4. Arrange shallots cut-side down on prepared baking sheets.
5. Scrape any remaining sugar mixture onto shallots.
6. On a floured surface, roll puff pastry to a 15" square.
7. Using a 2.5" round biscuit cutter, stamp out as many circles as possible. If necessary, gently press scraps together & freeze until firm, then reroll & cut out more rounds.
8. Place pastry rounds over shallots, & top each pan w/a sheet of parchment & another baking sheet.
9. Bake for 20 min, switching position of pans halfway through.
10. Carefully remove top baking sheets & parchment paper.
11. Return tartes tatin to oven & continue to bake until pastry is golden, 15-20 min more, switching pans again halfway through.
12. Working quickly, using a spatula, invert tartes tatin onto a serving platter.
13. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, boil balsamic vinegar until reduced to 2T, ~5 min.
14. Dot tartes tatin w/Gorgonzola & drizzle w/balsamic reduction.
15. Sprinkle w/salt & serve.