Spring Pea Orzo
- 1 lemon
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup minced shallot or red onion
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas, blanched and chopped
- 1 cup assorted chopped fresh herbs (such as mint, chives, and parsley)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Grate zest from lemon to equal 2 tsp. Cut lemon in half; squeeze juice from lemon to equal 1/2 cup.
2. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Whisk together shallots, next 4 ingredients, and lemon juice. Toss together pasta and shallot mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill 1 to 48 hours.
3. Toss together pasta, peas, snow peas, next 2 ingredients, and lemon zest just before serving. Add salt, pepper, and additional lemon juice to taste.