Strawberry-Rhubarb Slab Pie
Sometimes it’s good to be shallow: We love a slab pie because it serves a crowd and there’s a higher pastry to filling ratio, which is just perfect when the filling is sweet-tart like in this rhubarb pie.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups (4-sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 pounds strawberries, hulled and halved (6-cups)
- 2 pounds rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (6-cups)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 1/2 packed teaspoons grated orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten with 2 teaspoons water
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sanding sugar (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 210mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
In a food processor, pulse flour, granulated sugar, and salt until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. With machine running, add 1 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed; do not overmix. Divide dough into 2 disks, wrap each tightly in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to overnight).
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make filling: In a large bowl, toss together strawberries, rhubarb, granulated sugar, light-brown sugar, tapioca, and orange zest and juice.
Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll out 1 disk to a 12-by-16-inch rectangle. Transfer dough to a 10-by-14-inch jelly-roll pan. Press gently to fit into pan and fill with fruit mixture. Roll out remaining disk to an 11-by-15-inch rectangle. Place atop pie, pressing along edges to seal. Trim edges of dough, leaving 1 1/2-inch overhang all around. Fold overhang under, tucking it into pan. Crimp edges. Brush crust all over with egg-yolk mixture and sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired.
With a paring knife, cut slits on top to vent. Place pie in oven, then reduce temperature to 375°F. Bake until crust is deep golden brown and juices are bubbling in center, 55 to 65 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, 1 hour. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Cherry Slab Pie 4.4/5 (67 Votes)
- Peach Streusel Slab Pie 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Asparagus and Shiitake Mushroom... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- MATCHA GREEN TEA SWISS ROLL WITH... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Slow-Roasted Salmon with Fennel,... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Amaretto Blueberry Sauce 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin & Cider Stove Top Mac n'... 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Pie and Pie... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe